TrainRocket.com helps you document every process and policy in your business so you can onboard, train, and scale faster.
Get started with TrainRocket.com for FREE!
Table of Contents
- 1 Balanced Scorecard Templates
- 2 The balanced scorecard is a strategic planning tool
- 3 Balanced Scorecard Examples
- 4 What are the benefits of using balanced scorecard templates?
- 5 Balanced Scorecard Models
- 6 Here are some tips for developing your balanced scorecard template
- 7 When do you create your balanced scorecard template?
Balanced Scorecard Templates
The balanced scorecard is a strategic planning tool
A balanced scorecard provides a clear picture of all the ways in which your business is achieving its goals. It’s a useful tool for aligning your tactical activities with your company’s strategy. You can develop this template for your own company.
The Balanced Scorecard method will help you retain focus, move in a consistent and cohesive direction, and have important information at hand.
A balanced scorecard is a strategic planning instrument that outlines a company’s vision, mission, and key performance indicators. It’s an effective tool for measuring performance against pre-set objectives.
Before you write your scorecard, it helps to consider the perspective of the reader. A perspective describes what information is important for a reader to know about. There are four basic perspectives:
- Customer perspective: Give your clients what they need rather than what you think they want. This ensures higher sales and lasting relationships.
- Business processes perspective: This perspective ensures that your company is always sound and stable, which will help you to ensure that the client’s needs are met.
- Financial perspective: This perspective indicates how you will implement and execute your strategy. Design this perspective first if you work for a profit company. For nonprofit companies, design this perspective last.
- Learning & growth perspective: This perspective involves the training of your workforce for their improvement. It would ensure that the employees develop the required skills. Those needed to keep up with the competition.
It’s beneficial to learn how to create a balanced scorecard yourself. If your whole team designs and executes the BSC, it’s sure to meet the needs of your business.
You can use the Balanced Scorecard method to discover your most realistic goals, cascade them down through the company, and maintain alignment.
After you develop your BSC, you should also do a strategic mapping of your company’s objectives.
Balanced Scorecard Examples
What are the benefits of using balanced scorecard templates?
For companies which use a balanced scorecard, there are numerous benefits. Here are some of the most important ones:
Improves strategic planning
The balanced scorecard is a great framework for building your strategy. It makes you think about the cause-and-effect relationships behind your strategy.
By using a balanced scorecard, you can identify the key enablers of performance in the future. This will help you identify the performance outcomes to create your whole strategy.
The BSC provides you with a logical way to keep your company’s objectives in focus. The BSC uses specific measurements to monitor progress.
Better communication of strategies
In a BSC, you can lay out the strategy and objectives within the scorecard. In doing this, the company can both communicate the strategy internally and externally.
This tool helps the employees understand the strategy better, which in turn helps engage them and the stakeholders in the review and delivery of the strategy.
Better information management
Using a balance scorecard template pushes an organization. In designing it, they have to come up with key performance indicators. If they want their strategic objectives to be achieved, they must incorporate these KPIs .
The Balanced Scorecard approach ensures that the organization measures what really matters to achieving its objectives. Companies that use the BSC approach can manage their information a lot better.
Enhanced performance reporting
With a BSC you can communicate and report performance better. Nowadays there is an increased requirement for transparency. You can meet these requirements.
The Balanced Scorecard helps identify what you’ll report. It helps the company figure out what they will report.
Allows for better alignment
When you set up a BSC, all the metrics and targets for each department and division should be connected to the overall strategy. With the right structure, you can link your objectives to those of your parent company.
If you want to share big projects across divisions, such as a Balanced Scorecard, you will need a good structure to do so.
Allows employees to see their goals associated with the company’s strategy
This means that the BSC provides a way for your employees to work more effectively, aligning their own goals with those of the company.
With it, they can connect their work to the improvement of the team and the whole company, as well as the improvement of their career development.
Makes you focus on your strategy
It’s a fact that many organizations create strategic plans. If they don’t forget these plans in the hustle and bustle of daily work, the chances of this happening decrease.
When you review your strategy on a regular basis, you can ensure that you’re able to focus on it.
Balanced Scorecard Models
Here are some tips for developing your balanced scorecard template
Even the most powerful and successful businesses can always use improvement. A business can become stronger by refining its strategy. There are a lot of different management techniques out there.
Creating a well-made balanced scorecard is easy. It’s even easier if you use these tips on how to create a balanced scorecard. We’ve already discussed the different perspectives to use.
Let’s look at some steps and tips to help guide you:
- A good vision statement will give clarity to your company’s future. Therefore, you need to make sure that it’s inspirational.
- Think about your strategic objectives. These are the key goals which are vital to the current and future wellness of your company. Use the SWOT analysis to establish your priorities.
- For a higher likelihood of success, think about your company’s critical factors – high performance in all these areas will help you succeed.
- In other words, your key performance indicators should help you gauge the performance of your company.
- Using simple and direct language, clearly define your key performance indicators. Link these indicators to a business plan, and make sure your objectives are easily accessible.
- After establishing your KPIs , it’s time to determine the actions and performance indicators that will help you track whether you’ve met those KPI s.
Balanced Scorecards are important, not because they are static but because they are dynamic. You need to keep on updating them time and again.
It’s important to develop a BSC that your employees will want to use. You can also allow them to make modifications. This is especially true when they address lower-level components.
Make sure to review your BSC regularly. Also, schedule a review session after you’ve completed writing your BSC.
You can get an idea of how successfully you’ve created your design by looking at the way you participate in meetings and make updates. When you feel like you’ve performed well, it’s time to redesign.
When do you create your balanced scorecard template?
Instead, you’ll do better sticking to some core principles of how to create a Balanced Scorecard template.
Keep your employees in mind when developing and using the scorecard:
- Don’t use old BSC templates as references. Old templates may have worked in the past, but they don’t apply to your current situation. It’s better to develop a new scorecard using blank template.
- Be open-minded when creating your BSC. When creating your template, make use of live data and current information. Also, accept ideas and suggestions from other people in the organization. This will help you stay accessible and up to date.
- Don’t forget to present the relationship between your larger goals. Reconsider your perspective from the highest goal down to the lowest one. This will help demonstrate the effects of intermediate goals on the upper-level goals.
- When choosing metrics for your BSC, focus on objectives required to keep high customer retention rates. Also, choose metrics which are the most helpful when it comes to coming up with solutions.
- Before you use one, make sure that it applies to your own company. And if not, then you should at least modify it to suit your needs.
- Don’t use a single format for your BSCs. Vary the format when it comes to BSC templates. You can use different formats so make sure to choose the one to use wisely.
A balanced scorecard helps you map strategic alignment and performance. The template has been around for years and it’s very useful because it’s simple and effective.
But the key to making a great template is to consider your own company and what you want to achieve and make a template which caters to that.