TrainRocket.com helps you document every process and policy in your business so you can onboard, train, and scale faster.
Get started with TrainRocket.com for FREE!
In some types of organizations, employees are required to work a specific amount of time each month. Some companies offer the option of working the traditional 8 hour shifts, while others offer more flexible schedules. The DuPont schedule is one type of shifting schedule. This is a schedule for a 24-hour rotating schedule. It can work with four teams, who would be working on the schedule for 12 hours each.
The DuPont shift schedule is a four week work cycle with each crew and team working on this schedule:
- 4 consecutive night shifts, followed by 3 days off.
- 3 consecutive day shifts, followed by one day off work, followed by three night shifts.
- You’ll work 3 rest days and 4 consecutive day shifts for the third week.
- In 7 consecutive days, the fourth week will have 7 rest days
If you work this schedule, each employee would be working an average of 42 hours every week. This schedule was created by the company ABC way back in the 1950s. The most distinct feature of this schedule is that it allows employees to take two or three consecutive rest days at each 28 day schedule rotation.
A 12 hour shift schedule is complicated if you’re not used to it, so keep in mind that a 4-4-3 shift schedule typically contains maximum work schedules of 3 night shift schedules and 3 day shift schedules. Though the 7 or 8 day break within the 28 day cycle can seem cumbersome, employees of companies that employ this kind of shifting schedule actually really enjoy the mini-vacation within their smaller vacation. However, typically the rest day is not enough to make up for the three consecutive night shifts that surround it.
This article is all about the unique shifting schedule, which is characterized by this method.
Table of Contents
- 1 Free DuPont Shift Schedule Templates
- 2 A DuPont Schedule is a type of control chart used in process improvement
- 3 12 Hour Shift Schedule
- 4 This excerpt describes some of the advantages of using a DuPont schedule
- 5 These advantages will surely keep your employees happy in their work
- 6 Shift Work Schedule
- 7 Some Case About the 12 Hour DuPont Shift Schedule
Free DuPont Shift Schedule Templates
A DuPont Schedule is a type of control chart used in process improvement
Making a DuPont schedule can be quite intimidating if you’re totally new to the concept and don’t know how to do one. In order to make an effective schedule for your employees, you have to learn the basics – what characteristics a good schedule has and how it’s defined.
- The Plan ID is a code that can be used to identify your shifting plan for your employees.
- You could include your shift plan name in your document.
- The kind of work the shifting plan was created for is undefined.
- The number of people required to work on the shifting schedules on the plan you created.
- The Shifts refer to the different patterns you had plotted on the time-line. The length of the shift is included in each of the shifts. The shifts start and end times can be changed to fit into your own lifestyle, as long as the length of each shift isn’t altered.
- The Repeat Cycle is the number of days each team must complete for the whole shift sequence. When the cycle has been completed, they all have to begin again.
The rotation refers to different processes, which are also called the rotation process:
- A rotating shift pattern is when employees work on different shifts based on a pattern.
- Forward rotation means that a team will rotate from a day shift to a night shift, or from a night shift to a day shift.
- Shift rotation occurs when a team rotates from the night shift to the night shift.
- If a team rotates shifts every couple of days, it will be able to handle a lot of demand for a short period of time.
- When the same team works on a certain shift for weeks or even months, it can cause burnout.
- The hours per week refers to the number of hours each employee works each week as per the length and sequence of the shifts.
- The Staffing Fluctuation is the variation of the level of staffing as your planned schedule progresses.
When you’re planning out your schedule for your employees, keep these characteristics in mind so it’s clear and proper. Now let’s take a look at different advantages of this kind of schedule.
12 Hour Shift Schedule
This excerpt describes some of the advantages of using a DuPont schedule
There are many advantages of having a 12 hour shift schedule template such as the DuPont one. The advantages don’t just apply to the employees, but also to the employers, which can be an important criteria for your own company.
Employees now have more days off in each work cycle
In the first section, you can see that each 4 week work cycle includes at least 7-8 consecutive days off. This is particularly appreciated by employees as it would give them a lot of days to rest. It would also allow employees to take care of personal appointments and save on daily expenses.
In general, employees get more private time than self-employed people
This kind of schedule gives employees a lot more time to be with their families. The number of full weekends for employees on 8-hour shifts is about 13 each year, while there are 26 possible full weekends annually for the 12 hour shift schedules.
Employees now have more time for breaks throughout the day
Though working 12 hours straight can be quite taxing, employees do get to enjoy longer breaks in between. Ideally, they would take these longer breaks to rest up for the next shifts.
Employers Benefit Too!
Because each team member takes shifts when they feel like it, there is no need to make up for missing persons by assigning double shifts to other workers. Because of this, afternoon shifts are avoided, and employees and employers alike hate them.
These advantages will surely keep your employees happy in their work
Before you consider what your schedule would be like, it’s important to consider a few things first. Here are a few things to consider when making a DuPont Shift schedule:
The Size of Your Staff
It would take at least 4 teams or crews to pull off this kind of shifting schedule, so you have to consider the size of your staff. Having a smaller staff might not work in this case. If the hours don’t overlap enough, your employees will be stretched too thin when working on the different shifts.
The Workload and Coverage
This must be able to come up with a stable workload each and every day per week. The shifts may have varied workloads, but it’s important that they’re the same every week. If you think you would need more coverage, you might have to combine the 12-hour shift schedules with overlapping 8-hour shifts.
Think long and hard about how you will be able to pull off this particular kind of shift in your workforce. Don’t forget to consider all the teams and employees who will be working the 12-hour shifts when you create your schedule. As you implement a new schedule, speak to your employees about it.
If you want to have 24/7 constant coverage in your company, you’d need to come up with a few shift schedule examples. Do your research and look at different templates aside from the DuPont shift schedule if you find that it isn’t really applicable to your own organization.
The Pattern of Your Schedule
If you’re finding that your staff size isn’t enough, then maybe you can come up with a work shift plan and pattern that will fit into your company. Never sacrifice employees for an plan that isn’t actually worthwhile. You can use different references and find a pattern that is your own.
You should now have a better understanding of the DuPont schedule, as well as other similar 12-hour shift schedule templates. The following facts may eliminate the myths that you heard about these kinds of schedules and may convince you that they’re worth considering.
Shift Work Schedule
Some Case About the 12 Hour DuPont Shift Schedule
As you may have realized by now, the DuPont schedule is not the best option for everybody. This particular format is intended to improve your productivity, but the way it works is very important. There are various reasons why you might need to shift your work schedule.
- Shifting 12-hour schedules can still work if you don’t reduce your staff size or the number of employees. There’s no need to worry. Work hours will vary, but won’t change how many hours you or your employees work each week. If your staff size is quite small, it will be extremely difficult to apply this kind of work schedule.
- Long breaks and rest days come with this kind of schedule as well as longer working hours for the employees as well. As your employees are used to the eight-hour shift, you would have to prepare them and inform them that the longer hours were most likely going to need adjustment. If you’re unsure of the whole concept, you can actually ask your employees how they feel about the idea of working longer hours. This would give you the opportunity to ask your employees for feedback on this schedule.
- Even though 8 hour shifts are better known and thought to be more practical, 12 hour shifts are more flexible and applicable to different kinds of work environments. Studies have shown that when a company changes from an 8-hour shifting schedule to a 12-hour one, wages increase. Everyone would be working with the same amount of hours, but with only half of the paid hours in the week. When you change shifts from the typical 8 hours to 12 hours, you have to consider how you will be handling overtime. You have to consider overtime pay regulations, and how your company will deal with those regulations.
- Although the employees would have to adjust to 12+ hour shifts, that doesn’t mean that their performance will decrease. Since the employees are given more rest days, they are able to recuperate and reenergize for their next shifts. Furthermore, your employees might be looking forward to the long breaks, which may increase their performance. Yes, the increase in pay is big, but the benefits that come with this kind of schedule are also quite good.
- If you’ve planned your schedule strategically, from the teams to all the start and end times of each of the shifts, you can increase employee engagement. When employees feel more free and work productively, your business produces more. You would also be able to reduce staff turnover as you would only have 2 staff members for each shift.
- Having longer shifts would also allow your employees to start on and complete tasks, which take a longer time. Since they can complete tasks in a day, they will accomplish more tasks each week. This is a great benefit of using work schedules in the office.
- Also consider the kind of work your employees have to do. 12 hour desk jobs are often easier to work with because there are no physical limitations. This is an important thing to think about if you want to make sure your employees stay fresh and motivated.
- For jobs that involve more physical effort, you may have to give your employees extra break times, no matter how short.
- Though employees may be able to cope with 12-hour shifts, managers might not be too keen on this kind of schedule. You should talk to your employees, but remember to also talk to your supervisors and managers.
- People with higher rank in the company might also be interested, as long as you’ve discussed the issue with them and come to an understanding. The company may need to make adjustments to the salaries of its supervisors and managers in order to convince them to get on board.
- You must consider a lot of things when making a big change in the company. You’d have to spend some time telling your family members about your decision and telling your friends about the trip too. Communication is essential when making any huge transitions. It’s not just about the number of people in the company, but it’s also about how you will manage the daily operations.