TrainRocket.com helps you document every process and policy in your business so you can onboard, train, and scale faster.
Get started with TrainRocket.com for FREE!
Making employee schedule templates means you’re organized and your company runs more effectively. In your work, you use a time-schedule template to assign schedules to your employees and provide each of them a copy to reference their working hours. Creating your own schedule template or using a free template will enable you to easily and accurately track your employees’ work hours and time off.
Table of Contents
- 1 Employee Work Schedule Templates
- 2 What is an employee work schedule template?
- 3 What to include in your work schedule template?
- 4 Work Schedule Samples
- 5 Here are some tips for creating and using an employee work schedule template.
- 6 You can use an employee schedule template to get started
- 7 Work Schedule Templates
- 8 Creating a shift schedule in Excel might be one of the most challenging tasks you can do with Excel
- 9 How do you schedule something using Microsoft Word?
- 10 Excel Work Schedule Templates
- 11 Please test your employee schedule template for errors
Employee Work Schedule Templates
What is an employee work schedule template?
A schedule template (or schedule planner) is a calendar that helps you organize employees in an office. It includes the names of the employees, a weekly summary of each employee’s schedule, and the role they assume each day. This tool is very useful in managing employee time, but it takes a lot of effort to implement. It will show you which employees are working at a particular time. Ultimately, it will help you as a reference when calculating or auditing manpower costs.
What to include in your work schedule template?
Effective staffing schedule templates provide you with all of the information about when people should work and how much they should be paid. This means that the information contained on your schedule may be very different from the information contained on employee schedules at other organizations.
By using a custom-made template, you can save yourself from spending too much time in preparing before getting to the actual scheduling. Moreover, you won’t need to start over each time you want to use the template. All you need to do is store the template on your computer.
When you need to create a new one, just open the file and fill it out. You’ll find that employee or staffing schedule templates include the following information:
- One week or one month depending on how frequently the shifts of your employees change.
- The names of your employee/customers.
- The specified dates of the schedule.
- Your operating hours are based on your business’s needs.
- The manager’s contact information.
- Some method of showing whether or not the employees are clocking out on time.
Work Schedule Samples
Here are some tips for creating and using an employee work schedule template.
Using an employee schedule template can help you get your scheduling done faster, but it does have some limitations. If you’re a novice in filling up a scheduling template, consider the following pointers to help you make a scheduling template for your employees:
You shouldn’t be changing the schedule around every week
Always make sure that the words you use are consistent with the ideas they represent. Make sure that you standardize the shift start and end times as well as the time that breaks are taken for each shift. If you can standardize, it will be a lot easier to make adjustments when employees request for leaves.
Ask your employees for their input on any new policies, but make sure the cutoff time is the same every week
Accepting and processing employee time-off requests can be tricky, but there are protocols for this. Make sure you clearly communicate the deadline for the submission of such requests.
If you’re tech-savvy, use scheduling apps and tools
Combine your POS data with your Excel schedule template to get an idea of what the future holds. Sales-based scheduling is much better than based purely on intuition.
If you’re stuck, you can always ask a friend for help
There will always be an influx of customers when the holiday season rolls around. Make sure you have enough employees so your guests’ needs are tended to. Otherwise, they won’t come back.
If you have too many employees, more than you need, you might be overpaying them. Look at data to learn how many employees you need for holiday labor.
You can use an employee schedule template to get started
You can use a specialized software that will do all the scheduling for you but often, what you only need is a simple Excel template. You will need to list your employees in order to know who works for you, but it’s also useful to count the number of employees working on different days. This allows you to create a schedule that is very flexible. To get started, try the following steps:
Have a blank template available for each of your employees
Provide each employee with a blank template that they can fill out with their preferred working days, days they need off, and more. You can also have employees fill out the survey online. It’s a good idea to share a template for each employee to fill out online. But this only applies if you hire employees who know how to use the computer.
Make the necessary changes for this schedule to be completed on time
Some companies have already started using software for the automation of creating employee schedules. But sometimes, it’s easier to just rely on your gut feeling for decision making.
Give each employee a copy of their schedule for the weekend
Print out the schedule and give copies to each of your employees so they know when they need to come to work.
Work Schedule Templates
Creating a shift schedule in Excel might be one of the most challenging tasks you can do with Excel
If you know Excel, then your work may be simpler. This is, of course, the most common tool in creating an Excel schedule template. It’s easy to make an Excel schedule template.
Launch the program and open a new file
Obviously, you’ll need to give your spreadsheet a name so you can identify it later. File could be “Work Schedule: November 10 – 15”. Save the file at each step so you don’t lose your progress.
Create the column headings
Naming the first column “Employee Name” will allow you to create a heading for your spreadsheet. Then name the fourth column after Sunday, then the fifth column after Monday, etc. When you’re making a schedule for more than two weeks, use dates for the column headings. Make the headings bold and give them a different font.
Please enter the names of all your employees, along with their ID/Employee Numbers
You should input your employee’s name where indicated.
Go ahead and define the schedules or working times of each employee
In the days to come, you will need to program your employees’ shifts for each of the corresponding days. Employees can use this template to find their line on the work schedule and see when they will work for that period.
Print the schedule out and share it
Employers are only too happy to post these schedules, though most are posted in the office where employees can see it. You can also save this file on your computer then email it to the employees.
How do you schedule something using Microsoft Word?
Aside from Excel, you can also use MS Word to create an employee schedule template. Here are the simple steps to follow:
- Open a new document.
- Insert > Table > Insert Table.
- Use a spreadsheet tool to build a table based on the working hours.
- To get started, click on the first row of your table.
- The next row is for the days of the week. You will enter each hour of the day in this row. Skip the first cell because you will enter each hour there.
- Enter each hour on the first column, and leave the first cell blank.
- Keep entering data for the schedules of your employees.
- Please include a title like “Employee Schedule” or something similar.
Excel Work Schedule Templates
Please test your employee schedule template for errors
Every staffing schedule template should contain employee names, business hours, inclusive dates, and contact details. You can create a visual schedule for your employees with pictures or pictures of their faces.
Using a schedule makes it much easier to read. Every template should have a clear format so that employees can figure it out quickly. At first glance, owners should see:
- What day they’re working.
- What hours they’re working.
- The job they will perform.
If employees can’t understand your schedule, it’s too complicated. Here is a simple way to test your schedule.
- If you need a stopwatch and a copy of your schedule, you should start this exercise now.
- If you have time in your schedule, put it aside so you can do other tasks.
- Before going over your schedule, take this opportunity to review the performance of a single employee.
- When that employee will work the next day, look at your schedule.
- If you can figure out an employee’s schedule in less than 30 seconds, it means the schedule is clear and simple. If not, consider creating a simpler schedule.